Showing posts with label SPORT. Show all posts
Showing posts with label SPORT. Show all posts
Thursday, 2 October 2014
Saturday, 20 September 2014
Photos: Mario Balotelli arrives to Liverpool training in £240k Ferrari
Mario Balotelli drove to Liverpool training on Thursday in his £240,000 (about N65million)
Ferrari
F12 Berlinetta which he shipped from Italy last week. The 24 year old
footballer moved from AC Milan to Liverpool in a £16million switch last
month. See the super car after the cut...
Balotelli also has a £160,000 camouflage Bentley GT
Friday, 19 September 2014
Wenger regrets missing out on Ronaldo, Drogba
Cristiano Ronaldo
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has rued missing out on signing Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo earlier in his career, Sportinglife reports.
The Gunners boss endured nine years
without a trophy before winning the FA Cup final in May, with Chelsea’s
Drogba and Ronaldo of Manchester United contributing to the drought.
“I would have loved to have managed Didier Drogba, for two reasons,” Wenger said, in a sponsor question and answer session.
“One, I missed him when he played at Le Mans in France, not even in the top league. I knew there was a good player there and I missed him.
“And secondly, because he hurt us so much in big games that all this pain would not have happened.”
Asked his biggest near miss in the
transfer market, Wenger said: “My biggest regret, I was so close to
signing Cristiano Ronaldo.
“And not only did I not get him, but he signed for Manchester United.
“That, of course, still hurts today.”
Meanwhile, Drogba has told Chelsea fans
he needs time to get back to his best after spurning several good
opportunities in Chelsea’s disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Schalke in the Champions League.
The 36-year-old was handed his first
Champions League start for Chelsea since scoring the winning penalty in
the 2012 final, having returned to the club this summer.
Drogba missed Saturday’s 4-2 win over Swansea due to an ankle injury and looked rusty at Stamford Bridge on Wednesday.
“For a first game they were okay, kind of
okay,” Drogba told Chelsea TV. “The good thing is no pain in the ankle,
so now I can start working and training and improve the condition.
“I was feeling much better in the second half. I’m like a diesel, I need time.”
London to host Euro 2020 finals
England
will at last stage another major football tournament after Wembley was
awarded the final and semi-finals of Euro 2020 in Geneva on Friday.
The UEFA ExCo voted in favour of Wembley
over Munich’s Allianz Arena for the marquee matches in a tournament
being staged in 13 cities across Europe – the brainchild of UEFA
President Michel Platini..
After the doomed bids to hold the World
Cups in 2006 and 2018, this was the first successful campaign by the FA
since the decision in Lisbon 1992 to award Euro 96 to England.
The UEFA vote for Wembley – held in an
eyesore exhibition building in Geneva – was regarded almost as a
foregone conclusion with the big FA party including England manager Roy
Hodgson, FA chairman Greg Dyke and past and present Ministers of Sport Helen Grant and Kate Hoey, London Mayor Boris Johnson’s Commissioner for sport.
UEFA regard Wembley as their favourite stadium on the continent, especially with its money-making
potential from the tier of 17,000 corporate seats. The ground has
hosted UEFA’s flagship Champions League final twice in the last four
years.
It was a complicated secret ballot with
the 17-strong voting UEFA executive, which includes Manchester United
director David Gill not involved in any vote involving their own
country.
Thursday, 14 August 2014
Nigeria Withdraws Team From Youth Olympics Over Ebola Discrimination
Nigerian athletes and officials to the on-going 2014 Youth Olympics in Nanjing, China have been directed to leave and come home after the country pulled out of the competition on Wednesday following discrimination against its athletes.
The athletes were quarantined, isolated and barred from training alongside other athletes of the World since arriving the competition venue.
In a statement signed Wednesday by the Director General of the National Sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye Nigeria protested to the organisers that the treatment to the Nigerian athletes were inhuman.
The decision to withdraw Team Nigeria from the Games was taken after a meeting with Sports Minister, Dr Tammy Danagogo, Nigeria Olympic Committee, NOC, President, Engr Sani M. Ndanusa and the Director General of the National sports Commission, Hon Gbenga Elegbeleye.
The Youth Olympics is scheduled to hold from August 16 to August 18, and team Nigeria were to participate in three sports – Athletics, Wrestling and Beach Vollleyball, with twelve athletes.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)